ABOUT THE CLUB
The Scooter’s Indoor Speed Club has been active in roller & inline speed skating since 1996. The club is recognized by Roller Sports Canada, which is recognized by the Canadian Olympic Committee and FIRS.
WHAT IS THE CLUB ABOUT?
We do inline & roller speed skating- going fast on skates! Our mandate includes teaching how to roller and inline speed skate properly, improving fitness, racing & tactics, and providing a safe and fun atmosphere for skating.
The sport of roller & inline speed skating is similar to short track speed skating. Athletes skate and race on a 100-meter track with symmetrical corners. When skaters are together, it looks tactically similar to bicycle racing where athletes skate in larger groups (packs or peletons).
WHO SKATES WITH THE CLUB?
We currently welcome skaters who are able to stand on skates and start to roll (move) forward while maintaining balance. Skaters who come to skate with the club also need to be able to turn right & left, hop & jump over small obstacles, and maintain control of their skating and speed.
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE CLUB?
- Skating in groups– pack skating, how to draft, etiquette of skating with others, making friends, learning from others
- Going fast– sprints & speed work including relays and racing
- Technique– how to skate properly and efficiently
- How to race– skills and strategies for getting the best results, tactics like those you see in short track speed skating and bike racing
- Going long– distance & endurance
- Getting fit– improve fitness
Skaters are challenged with a fun and stimulating program. Coaches & instructors try their best to ensure the program is adapted so it is suitable for all participating skaters.
COACHES, INSTRUCTORS, TRAINERS
Practices are run by coaches, trainers, and instructors who have extensive and relevant experience at all levels of inline & roller speed skating. Our experienced coaches and instructors have been trained by various local and national coaching programs from such organizations as Roller Sports Canada and Speed Skating Canada.
A group approach is used for running the program, with experienced coaches and instructors leading.
BENEFITS OF SKATING WITH THE SCOOTER’S INDOOR SPEED CLUB
Club members have great opportunities to meet friends and other skaters. Roller & inline speed skating is a wonderful way for skaters of all ages and abilities to enjoy themselves in a safe environment- especially during those cold winter months! Skaters of all levels and ages are welcome to come to practice. You must wear a helmet and have skates.
WHY JOIN? ADVANTAGES!
– Network with other skaters
– Make some life-long friends
– A warm place to skate during the winter!
– Increase your fitness by having fun
– Skate in a controlled and safe environment
– Receive advice, coaching, and instruction from knowledgable and certified coaches & instructors
– Inline skating is inexpensive compared to other sports
– A family can skate together
– Games based program for children & youth